Trouble in the Terraces of my mind

hey...me writing here is a hell of a lot cheaper than therapy...

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

So, uh, what do you do for a living?

For the past six months, I’ve been trying to figure out what exactly I say to the question.   For the most part, my job is to go through all the little kitchens on the floors of Bank Of America and make sure that everything is stocked and clean.  I also have to make sure that whatever catering that comes in is set up right and in the right meeting room.  At night I also close the kitchens, where I dump the coffee, rinse out the pots, and make sure that there’s enough crap out for tomorrow, I am also responsible for all ordering and stocking of supplies and milk.  I’ve had a hard time figuring out what exactly to say to someone what I do, other than “coffee jockey and stock boy”.  I think I figured out what I can say, and I posted this on a message board to see how it looked

Here’s what I wrote:
“I work in Bank of America's Midtown offices in Rockefeller Center assisting the housekeeping and internal meetings departments.  I for the most part make sure all the pantries on each floor are running right and are stocked, while also making sure all catering for meetings are delivered and set up accordingly.”

I think this is probably one of the best ways to describe what I do.  I’ve been really self-conscious about my job, and how people will think of it.  Recently I am starting to not think about it much, since I’m at the point where as long as the check is right and doesn’t’ bounce, I’m happy.  I mean it isn’t a job where I have a career, but considering most of my bosses started in my position, there are opportunities to move up.  People still do look down at me, and what I do like I should be at a better place in my life, but then again, I had to find this job and not get it handed to me like most of these people who do look down on me.  All I know is that at the end of the week, I get money in my pocket and that’s all I need.  I pay for my bills, and also give money to help out my mom with the bills and expenses in the house.  How can that be a bad thing?
Why did I write this tonight? Because I need something to do to keep my mind off of a lot of things that are swirling around in my head, and maybe vent about something.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home