Trouble in the Terraces of my mind

hey...me writing here is a hell of a lot cheaper than therapy...

Sunday, September 02, 2007

College football season started this weekend, and so far so damn good!! First off, Penn State won their first game against some jobbers from Fla. The better part of the day is BOTH Michigan and Notre Dame lost!!! Notre Dame lost to Ga. Tech, which is a touch school from the ACC, but Michigan, the ranked #5 team in the nation, proved that the rating was overrated by losing to a 1-AA team (really small school). It was the first time a 1-AA school beat a nationally ranked team EVER!!! I was so happy hearing that result, since Michigan is one of the teams PSU have to deal with in the Big Ten. Next week, PSU plays ND at Happy Valley. I can't say it's a lock that PSU will win, but seeing how ND played and the fact that the game is at Penn State, PSU has little excuse to lose the game. Giants start next week, but I am not sure if they will really do that great this year. Still in the NFL, it seems the average tam could look like titans if the breaks come their way.

Now onto something I really wanted to write about. What is exactly considered normal, and why do people really strive for it? I know my life hasn't been what society considers normal. Sure I had both parents and a sister, but my parents had me when they were in their late 30s. My dad was 39 when I was born, and it was sorta odd hearing some other kids I knew as a kid that their parents were at least 10-15 years younger than mine. It's not that big of a deal to me, my parents loved and supported me as well as any other parents love and support their kids, just sometimes I wish my dad was a little younger so he might be alive to see what I have accomplished. Then again it did take his death to be a catalyst for me to grow and become the man that I am now. Fucked up for sure, but sometimes it does take a tragedy for one to truly see who they are.

My childhood wasn't normal by any means. Sure I had people around me who cared for me, but it was tough being someone who for the first 11 years of his life who couldn't see more than 5 feet in front of him without super-thick glasses. Still I dealt with it and found people who accepted me as who I am. One thing that when I was a kid that I hated was when people would, though with the best intentions, do things to make it obvious that I wasn't normal. Like when my teacher would spend extra time with me to make sure I got whatever thing the class was doing, even though I was sure I could do it on my own. This is one thing that has stayed with me for some reason. If someone tells me that I can't do something or I'm wrong about something. I usually prove them wrong, and I have a bad habit of being extremely obnoxious and act like an asshole to these people. Is it right or wrong? I don't know really, but I feel justified in doing it if someone doesn't believe me or gives me the chance to prove myself. Now I am trying not to do this anymore, but sometimes habits are hard to break.

As it kid, I always wanted to be treated like a normal kid, I really hated the attention I was getting. Over time as I grew up, I learned that being abnormal is sometimes the best thing. I also started to try to shy away form “normal” people, because they don't have anything special to off me as far as intellectual stimulation. I also learned over my life that those who weren't normal and has some unique quirk, they are always the ones who make impacts in others lives. Look at whoever in history was considered great, and if you look at their lives or their past, you see that they aren't what one would consider normal.

Usually they also make for some interesting friends, giving you a unique perspective on things you wouldn't see. I have also found that abnormal people and situations also helps one learns about themselves and what they can improve in their lives. I have found myself in some unique conditions, and through these situations, I have learned more about myself and what I am capable of and I think that is part of what has made me who I am. If you look at the people that I surround myself with, they ail have their quirks that make each of them unique and “outside the box”. So I ask you all, why would someone want to be normal?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home